Monday, September 1, 2014

Fall is just around the corner

It is about time that I put down a new post.
Many things do happen in more than two years. That was the last time I posted a blog.
It is the first of September, the wind is blowing, clouds are filling the sky and it feels like fall is just around the corner. Most farmers in our area are behind schedule because of a very wet spring which meant a late seeding and then more and more rain. They are anxious to go out on the field and start their harvest.
 I see many pictures of people who are putting the produce of their garden up and have some canning done. I am thrilled to see the younger generation starting up this great time consuming task.
I remember it was my mother-in-law's hobby to have the shelves in her pantry full with jars of vegetables. She looked at them with pride and all she really did was giving them away to family and friends. It just gave her such a feeling of satisfaction and her face would shine with glory over another task accomplished.
We are not all like that. I love my indoor garden and have a sun-room full with plants and in the winter time the geraniums from my deck are still added to it.
Well I made some jars with applesauce from my neighbor's apples and froze them and some jam from raspberries someone gave me. My claim is that we live in town, half our backyard is parking, we have a three-car garage and the rest is for the dog. She needs some room to run too.
What I do enjoy is making slippers. It is an easy pattern and I can even watch t.v. and make them. On my trip to B.C., when I went to see my family,  I took 18 pairs with me and was still two pairs short, because even some of the grandsons liked them also. I crochet extra big ones with double yarn for the auxiliary of the hospital. People who have had surgery on their leg or foot like the big sizes. I always have a pair on the go.
It is productive, it kills time and this way I can spend much time with my husband who is pretty well housebound  with a fatal disease. He farmed for more that 60 years but is not able to do this anymore. I am thankful that we still have each other and can be together this way.
One desire of my heart the Lord provided for me. After the children were grown I had hoped to be able to sleep in, but an active farmer gets up early in the morning and goes to bed late. Now that my husband is home all the time we get up late, enjoy our breakfast together, have our daily devotions and the morning is more than half gone. I love it because I am not a morning person.
God is good, if we know Him and are able to accept what He has in store for us. He will give us the desires of our heart in His time.

4 comments:

Ruth L. Snyder said...

Addy,
Thanks for sharing how God is meeting you where you're at. I'm glad you have chosen to be content. You're a great example for us younger ones :)

Janet Martin said...

I agree with Ruth. I love gardening and canning!

fudge4ever said...

It was nice to hear from you Addy, and to learn more about you. I love gardening and canning too which is keeping me busy these days, but I love to see people knitting and being productive that way too. I love handmade slippers, and I'm sure your family and many others have appreciated all your work!
Pam

Addy Oberlin said...

It is wonderful to see how God spread His gifts all around. Thank you for your response. I have two more pails with apples on my counter, so more applesauce and apple cake.